The cold days are soon behind us as February begins to end and March approaches with spring. And to thank you for these cold months and the good recipes for comforting soups and dishes to share with the family that we discovered this winter, I would like to share with you how to make champurrado at home and what its ingredients are.
Champurrado is a classic drink of Mexican cuisine, being a derivative of atole this drink has been touring Mexican tables since pre-Columbian times. According to the Mexican Academy of Language, its name is an onomatopoeia that tries to reproduce the sounds that are produced when mixing the ingredients.
Being a pre-Hispanic drink this has a rough but delicious character. It is made from crushed corn dough, spices, chocolate, and water, which are boiled to achieve a thick consistency very similar to that of Spanish-style milk chocolate. At present, there are many different recipes to prepare this comforting drink, which piloncillo is added to give it sweetness and some species such as cinnamon, cloves, anise, etc.
We will prepare this champurrado with a family recipe that my grandmother taught me. If you want to accompany us to make this traditional Mexican recipe, you will only need a clay pot,it can also be a normal pewter or metal pot,and a bowl to dissolve the dough in the water.
- Clay pot 549 pesos
- Pewter pot 679 pesos
- Metal pot 618 pesos
- Set of 4 pieces of kitchen bowls 659 pesos
For 8 people
- Table chocolate 2 tablets
- Piloncillo 1 piloncillo
- Cinnamon 2 rajas
- Corn dough 250 g
- Water 2 l
How to make Champurrado
- Total time 45 m
- Elaboration 45 m
- In a pot we boil the 1 1/2 liters of water and add the piloncillo and cinnamon sticks
- Once the piloncillo is dissolved, add the chocolate and stir to dissolve
- In a bowl dissolve the dough corn dough with the remaining water
- Once the dough is dissolved, add it little by little to the pot with the piloncillo and chocolate
- Let cook for approximately 20 minutes until the dough is well cooked and the champurrado obtains the desired consistency
Photos | Pxhere | Wikimedia commons |Don’t miss interesting posts on Onnewslive