These Homemade Lemon Cupcakes are an easy homemade cupcake that have lemon in both the frosting and the cupcakes! Moist, flavorful and full of spring and summer flavors!
A DELICIOUS AND MOIST CITRUS CUPCAKE
If you have spent any time on my website, then you will know that lemon is one of my favorite flavors. Whether it be my EASY LEMON LAVA CAKE, CREAMY LEMON BARS or my FRESH LEMONADE – this citrus fruit can’t be beat! These Homemade Lemon Cupcakes are moist, flavorful and give just the right punch of lemon. These cupcakes are a definite baking staple in our house during the spring and summer months. If you’re looking for that perfect and delicious citrus cupcake, then you have to try this Homemade Lemon Cupcake recipe!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE LEMON CUPCAKES:
- I like to use lemon extract in the cupcakes as it gives it a more potent lemon flavor.
- I use fresh lemon juice in the frosting to balance out the sweetness but you can substitute with lemon extract if you prefer.
- This recipe is easily doubled to serve more people.
- I used 3 ½ cups of powdered sugar to get the right consistency. I did not need the heavy cream. It is optional depending on how thick or thin you prefer your frosting.
- To decorate the tops I used a Wilton 1M tip.
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- zest from one lemon
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 5-6 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon heavy cream, if desired
- yellow sanding sugar, optional
- lemon quarters, optional
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE LEMON CUPCAKES:
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a 12 count cupcake pan with paper liners and set aside. In a medium bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
Whisk this mixture until combined.
Add in the eggs, lemon extract, lemon zest, milk, water and vegetable oil.
Beat with a hand mixer until smooth and combined.
Fill the cupcake liners ⅔ full with batter and bake for 18-20 minutes until slightly golden and tops spring back when touched. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
Meanwhile, to make the buttercream, add the butter, lemon zest and lemon juice to bowl or bowl of stand mixer.
Beat with a stand or hand mixer until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes.)
Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.
Beat this in until incorporated. Add in the heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached (you may not need the cream) then beat for 2-3 minutes to fluff up.
Place frosting into a piping bag fitted with an open star (Wilton 1M) tip and pipe onto tops of cupcakes and top with sprinkles and lemon quarters if desired.
HOW TO STORE:
- To store this Homemade Lemon Cupcake Recipe, you can leave them out at room temperature in an airtight container and they should keep for up to 2 days. Otherwise, keep them stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- These cupcakes can also be frozen. To freeze, let cool completely, but do not frost. Place in an airtight container and put in the freezer. They should last for up to 4-6 months. Let defrost at room temperature and then frost.
Source: The Country Cook
Don’t miss interesting posts on Onnewslive