For The Cake
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (canola works, too)
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
For The Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons milk
- more poppyseeds, for outside
- edible flours for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Set aside three 6-inch cake pans that have been greased and lined with parchment paper.
- Combine eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla extract in a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until well blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder, lemon zest, poppy seeds, and salt in a separate basin. Pour the flour mixture and buttermilk into the wet ingredients in alternating batches, mixing only until incorporated.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the cake tester comes out largely clean, or until batter is uniformly distributed among prepared pans. Before icing, let the cakes cool fully.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and cream cheese to make the frosting. Slowly drizzle in the powdered sugar and milk, then beat on high for about 30 seconds.
- Cover the cake, using about 1 cup of icing between each layer and the remaining frosting to frost the exterior. Decorate with edible flowers after sprinkling poppyseeds along the sides of the cake!
Source: Broma BakeryDon’t miss interesting posts on Onnewslive