- 1kg frozen raspberries, thawed on absorbent paper
- 1¾ cups (385g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 190g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder, sifted
- ½ teaspoons bicarbonate of (baking) soda, sifted
- ½ cup (60g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Layer the raspberries over the base of a lightly greased 24cm-round tin lined with non-stick baking paper to form two layers. Sprinkle with ½ cup (110g) sugar and set aside. Place the butter, remaining sugar, lemon zest and vanilla seeds in an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, almond meal and buttermilk and beat on low speed until just combined. Spoon the mixture over the raspberries and smooth the top with a palette knife. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cover loosely with aluminium foil and bake for a further 40–45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tin at room temperature for 2 hours or until just warm.
- Invert the cake onto a serving plate and carefully remove the tin to serve. Serves 8–10.
Source: Donna Hay
Don’t miss interesting posts on Onnewslive