The rich and tasty Sicilian Whole Orange Cake is a crowd-pleasing delicacy. Because the full orange, peel and all, is utilized, it is called a Whole Orange Cake. It’s perfect for any occasion, but it’s especially delicious with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/8 c (250g) sugar
- 1 3/4 c (275g) all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder (or 1 packet Italian Pane Degli Angeli vanilla baking powder)
- 1/3 c (100g) butter, softened
- 1/3 c (100g) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large organic orange, about (300g), washed and cut into pieces (with the rind, but remove the seeds)
- (if using plain baking powder add 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- juice of one organic orange
- 1/3 c (100g) sugar
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
Make the whole orange cake
- Spray an 8″ springform pan with oil (or butter) and line it with parchment paper (sides optional, if you want very clean sides), then spray the parchment paper as well.
- In a large mixing basin, whisk the sugar and eggs with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder or Paneangeli and add a little at a time to the melted butter in the mixing bowl. Continue to mix until everything is well combined, then add the yogurt.
- Process the whole orange in a food processor until it is virtually pureed.
- Stir this orange into the cake batter (together with the vanilla if using plain baking powder) until well incorporated, then pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes (depending on your oven), but check for doneness with a cake tester or skewer before removing from the oven. Allow for 15 minutes of cooling time before removing the springform pan’s side.
Make the orange glaze
- To make the glaze, combine the sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan and cook for a few minutes, or until the liquid has thickened to a syrupy consistency.
- Allow to cool fully before cutting. Spoon and brush over the top of the cake.
Source: Christina’s CucinaDon’t miss interesting posts on Onnewslive