Naked Cake with Strawberry Chamomile…because it’s spring!
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup high quality strawberry jam
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- honey, for drizzling
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 chamomile tea bags
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease three 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then butter or spray it with cooking spray.
- Combine the canola oil, yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and buttermilk in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand-held mixer). Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Incorporate the strawberry jam in a gentle swirling motion, leaving huge streaks and without totally absorbing the jam.
- Pour the mixture into the three cake pans and bake for 28-30 minutes, or until the tops are barely set and the centers are no longer wobbly. Remove the cakes from the oven and set them aside to cool for five minutes before running a knife along the sides of the pan and turning them out onto a cooling rack. Before constructing the cakes, cover them and allow them cool fully.
- To prepare the chamomile cream, combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup cream to a simmer, but do not boil. Simmer for 1 minute and then remove from the heat. Cover and steep the tea bags for 5-10 minutes. Remove the tea bag and refrigerate the cream fully before serving. In a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese until frothy, then add the cooled chamomile cream and the remaining 1 cup cream, whipping until firm peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble, sprinkle one cake layer with honey and put on a serving dish or cake stand. Cover the cake with 1/3 of the chamomile cream and a handful of fresh sliced strawberries. Rep with the other two cake layers. If you overfill your layers with fruit, the cake will be difficult to carve. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated for up to 1 day. Chamomile flowers can be used to garnish the cake if desired.
Source: Half-Baked HarvestDon’t miss interesting posts on Onnewslive