There’s more than meets the eye with this chocolate cake.
- 250g unsalted butter, chopped, softened
- 400g dark brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) canned tomato soup
- 3 cups (450g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 80g good-quality cocoa powder, sifted
- 250g sour cream, brought to room temperature
- 250g dark (70%) chocolate, chopped
- 400g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups (300g) pure icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Line two 20cm round cake pans with baking paper and grease the base and sides.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and brown sugar until thick and light. 1 at a time, add the eggs, beating thoroughly after each addition. Stir in the soup, flour, cocoa, and sour cream until everything is well blended.
3. Using a palette knife, divide evenly between the prepared pans and smooth. 1 hour 10 minutes in the oven, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the pans to cool fully before removing them.
4. To make the frosting, melt the chocolate in a heatproof dish put over a pot of boiling water (be careful not to let the bowl touch the water) and whisk until smooth. Allow to cool fully before serving.
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and icing sugar until thick and pale. Beat in the melted chocolate until it is creamy and well blended.
6. Spread 1 cup frosting over 1 cake, then top with the remaining cake. Spread a thick layer of icing on top and sides, swirling to form peaks, then cut into slices to serve.Don’t miss interesting posts on Onnewslive