What part of a crumb cake is the best? Topping of crumbs! When you eat a crumb cake, you frequently wish there was less cake and more (much, much more!) crumb topping. I went out on a mission to make it all come true! My objective was to build a crumb cake with a fair amount of cake but the most crumb topping possible.
for the cake:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons of milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 3 medium apples washed, peeled, cored and sliced ( I used Red Delicious and Golden Delicious)
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
for the topping:
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- An 8″ round springform pan should be greased and floured. Remove from the equation.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
To make the topping:
- Whisk together both sugars, cinnamon, salt, and flour in a medium mixing basin. Toss in the melted butter and fluff with a fork until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Remove from the equation.
To make the cake:
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing basin. Combine milk, vanilla, oil, and egg in a large measuring cup. Whisk until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Stir in the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon after adding them to the dry ingredients. Don’t overmix the ingredients. It’s fine if there are a few lumps in the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan that has been prepared.
- Toss apple slices with two tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and apple cider vinegar in a medium mixing basin. Remove from the equation.
- Place apple slices on top of the batter.
- Crumble topping over the apples, totally covering them.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Allow the pan to cool fully before removing it from the oven.
- Place on a serving dish or on a stand. Cut into slices and serve.
- Keep for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Source: Crunchy Creamy SweetDon’t miss interesting posts on Onnewslive