This is the best chocolate cake recipe you’ll ever find! Chocolate cake that is moist and cooked entirely from scratch. This is the sort of chocolate cake that should be in everyone’s recipe box!
- 2 cups (260g) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (414g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (85g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup (240ml) hot water
- 1 1/4 cups (280g) butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (237g) shortening
- 9 cups (1035g) powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (114g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4–5 tbsp (60-75ml) water/milk
- 6 oz (1 cup | 169g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Make the cakes
- Prepare three 8-inch cake pans by lining the bottoms with parchment paper circles and greasing the sides.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (148 degrees Celsius).
- In a large mixing basin, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly the eggs, buttermilk, and vegetable oil into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the vanilla extract into the boiling water and add it to the mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs when inserted into the center of the cake.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and set aside to rest for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling racks to cool fully.
Make the frosting
- While the cakes are cooling, make the icing. Combine the butter and shortening in a mixing bowl and beat until creamy.
- Mix in 4 cups (460g) powdered sugar gradually until smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and half of the water or milk until smooth.
- Mix in the remaining 5 cups (575g) powdered sugar until smooth.
- Mix in the cocoa powder until it’s completely smooth.
- Continually add more water or milk until the frosting reaches the desired consistency.
Assemble the cake
- With a big serrated knife, remove the cake domes off the tops of the cakes once they have cooled. See how to level a cake and stack a cake for more information.
- Place the first cake layer on a cake plate. 1 cup of frosting, spread in an equal layer on top.
- Place the second layer of cake on top and spread another cup of frosting evenly across the top.
- Place the last layer of cake on top and ice the exterior. Please feel free to utilize my icing method for a smooth cake.
Make the chocolate ganache
- To prepare the chocolate ganache, place the chocolate chips in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until smooth (see my tips on making chocolate ganache).
- Pour the heavy whipping cream over the chocolate chunks once it barely begins to boil. Allow for 2-3 minutes of resting time before whisking until smooth.
Finish the cake
- Drizzle the chocolate ganache over the cake’s edge, then pour the remaining ganache over the top and spread evenly. For dripping around the borders, I prefer to use a squeeze bottle. See my chocolate drip cake instructions.
- Allow the ganache to firm up somewhat before piping the remaining frosting over the top edge and a border around the bottom of the cake. Ateco tip 844 was utilized.
- If desired, add a few sprinkles on top of the cake before serving. It’s ideal if you keep the cake covered for 3-4 days.
Source: Life, Love and Sugar
Don't miss interesting posts on Onnewslive