Originally from Spain, it comes from the white wine and is aged in oak barrels. Very acidic, woody, it goes well with aromatic herbs.
Italian, it is based on cooked grape must. The older he is, the more syrupy he is. It is suitable for sweet and savory dishes (duck breast …).
White vinegar (crystal)
It comes from beet alcohol. To be preferred for preserves, pickles, and a number of household uses.
White is Japanese and based on rice alcohol. Red, is Chinese and comes from fermented sticky rice. The redder it is, the more it stings. For Asian cuisine.
Apple cider vinegar
Sweeter and fruitier than wine vinegar, this taste-rich condiment
apple is delicious in vinaigrette and in sweet and sour preparations.
Malt (or beer) vinegar
Sweet, it goes well with sweet and sour flavors,
sweet and savory dishes, and chutneys.
How vinegar is made: the homemade recipe
- Fill a vinegar maker half, with 1/5 vinegar and 4/5 good wine (white or red). Do not put the lid back on. After 4-5 weeks, acetic fermentation begins. A white veil appears on the surface of the preparation: it is the mother.
- Taste the vinegar. If it is sufficiently acidic, put it in a bottle and let it sit for a fortnight, while the dregs settle at the bottom.
- You can flavor it (with a clove of garlic, shallot, thyme, basil …) in the bottle, but never in the vinegar tree, so as not to kill the bacteria, at the origin of the fermentation.
- With each sampling, redo the level inside the vinegar maker, gently pouring the wine along the wall so as not to sink the mother. Bacteria (acetobacters) need oxygen to convert alcohol into acetic acid.
- Don’t leave your winemaker unattended, as bacteria never stop working. Without your intervention, they would eventually degrade the vinegar into water and carbon dioxide.
Don't miss interesting posts on Onnewslive